Power shutoffs possible in Ojai Valley today - Sunday Oct. 20

Residents of Ojai and the unincorporated areas of Meiners Oaks, Matilija Springs, Wheeler Springs, and other parts of of Ventura County are being warned by Southern California Edison on Oct. 20 that their power may be shut off due to high winds.

Early Sunday, the Accuweather prediction for Sunday was for winds up to 43 mph. For more information about power shutoffs, visit:

The precautionary shutoffs are aimed at preventing wildfires before they break out, ahead of possible downed power lines that have sparked brush fires in the past.
The American Red Cross offers tips for how to keep everyone safe. “For prolonged power outages, there are ways that you can minimize loss and keep your loved ones as comfortable as possible,” said Jarrett Barrios, CEO of the Red Cross Los Angeles.
— Use flashlights in the dark, not candles.
— Eliminate unnecessary travel, especially by car. Traffic lights will be out.
— Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment.
— Turn off or disconnect any appliances, such as stoves, equipment and electronics that you were using when the power went out. When power comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment.
— Leave one light on, so you’ll know when power is restored.
— Download the Red Cross Emergency App to get real-time weather alerts and tips on how to stay safe during power outages and countless other emergencies.
— If a power outage is two hours or less, don’t be concerned about losing perishable foods. During a prolonged outage, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to pro-tect your food.
— First, use perishable food from the refrigerator. Perishables are safe to eat when they have a temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Then, use food from the freezer.
— If the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items. Keep food in a dry, cool spot and cover it at all times.
— If you are using a generator, keep it dry and don’t use it in wet conditions.
— Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal- burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space or any partially enclosed area. Keep these devices outside away from doors, windows and vents, which could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
— Operate the generator on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure, such as under a tarp held up by poles.
— Don’t touch a generator with wet hands.
— Turn the generator off and let it cool down before refueling. Gasoline spilled on hot engine parts could ignite.
— Plug appliances directly into the generator. Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet.

Not a subscriber?  choose your subscription plan.